I thought I would put a fall spin on the classic cinnamon sugar donut using one of my favourite fall beverages – apple cider. These baked donuts use cider to replace the traditional milk giving them a subtle sweet and spicy flavour. A nice autumn spin.
Toss the warm donuts in a cinnamon sugar mix for a more classic version or punch up the cider flavour by drizzling with an apple cider glaze. I went for the classic approach – there’s something about a dusting of sugar on your fingers while eating a donut.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached AP flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (neutral oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon Sugar Mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet and pour them into the dry. Stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared donut pan and bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Toss in cinnamon sugar mixture while still warm.