Cinnamon rolls are a classic – fluffy dough, cinnamon filling and sweet icing, but what if we sprinkle in a little colour? Keep the fluffy dough, swap the cinnamon filling for a sweet and colourful one and top everything with a delicious glaze and you have funfetti sweet rolls. Imagine a birthday cake in roll form. Yes!
Funfetti sweet rolls have it all – swirls of sugar, sprinkles and icing!
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup raw sugar + 2 tbsp
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter (can also use butter or coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tbsp water/milk
- splash of vanilla
- Combine water, yeast and 1 Tbsp of sugar in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom.
- Add flour, salt, and remaining sugar (leaving 2 tbsp for the filling). Stir with a wooden spoon until dough comes together.
- remove dough from the bowl and kneed a few times to bring it together, Shape into a ball.
- Place the dough back in the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. let rest 1 hour.
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread with butter, the remaining 2 Tbsp of sugar and half the sprinkles.
- Cut into even sized rolls and place in a greased baking dish. You want the rolls to almost be touching. Let the dough rest 5 minutes and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden in colour.
- Let cool and decorate with the icing and remaining sprinkles.
*Swap the sprinkles for cinnamon sugar to make classic cinnamon rolls