I’ve been gravitating towards fresher flavours the past few months. And lemon seems to be the main ingredient I keep coming back to – it’s quickly become a staple flavour in my kitchen. There’s something about the bright fresh flavour and the lightness it adds to recipes, even decedent cookies. It should be no surprise I decided to bake my new obsession into my forever obsession – – lemon cookies!
Thin sugar cookie with fresh lemon flavour and made without eggs.
Lemon sugar cookies! These cookies have a thin crisp outside with a light chewy inside and subtle lemon flavour – the perfect lemon sugar cookie.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (can use vegan butter)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, lemon extract and sugar.
- Mix the arrowroot with the water and lemon juice and beat into the butter mixture.
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the lemon zest and stir until combined.
- Scoop dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet using a small ice cream scoop. Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are just turning golden.
- Cool completely before enjoying.