Spring is a time that celebrates fresh light flavours and the start of trying to avoid the unhealthy foods that have been controlling your winter. I love giving my body a little spring cleanse to help clear out the heavy comfort foods of winter and rejuvenate my energy for the new season ahead. This being said, I still want to be able to enjoy a delicious sweet treat. Cue healthy raspberry coconut bars. These bars are made without grains, refined sugar and unhealthy fats. They celebrate simple ingredients and highlight the fact that you can live a healthy life and still enjoy a delicious dessert.
Simple and elegant dessert bars that take very little effort to make but taste amazing! With a little prep or store bought help (in the jam department) you can throw together a delicious healthier dessert in 20 minutes. Pairs perfectly with a cup of lemon tea.
The key to transforming this chewy coconut shortbread crust into raspberry coconut bars is the chia jam – swap the strawberries in this recipe for raspberries. It adds a little sweetness and a fresh flavour that elevates the coconut crust.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- chia jam (recipe linked)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine everything except 1/2 cup coconut and the chia jam. Mix with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Press the coconut dough into the prepared pan. Make sure to press right up to the edges, I like to use the bottom of a measuring cup to help get an even crust.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Let cool completely then spread with chia jam and sprinkle with the reserved coconut.