Banana bread is one of those dishes everyone has a recipe for. It seems to be one of the foods with the biggest sentimental value – – I remember baking banana bread with my grandma, my mom has the best banana muffin recipe, etc. Seems like every household has a recipe, each one having a slight variation from the next. My go to favourite is this dairy free version full of banana flavour and just a hint of cinnamon.
Banana bread is the perfect way to use up those brown spotted bananas that have gone a little too ripe to eat like monkeys. The ripper the banana, the better the banana bread. Sweeter and a more pungent banana flavour – – Perfect for banana bread.
Whats my secret to a super moist (sorry if your not a fan of the word) dairy free loaf? The answer, coconut yogurt. It holds moisture and acts kind of like sour cream – typically used to give cakes and loaves that great texture.
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Chopper walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients. Fold until everything is just combined.
- Add your favourite fixings, this part is optional. Gently fold to slightly combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.