I know spring is rolling in but I still love to keep a few comfort food meals in rotation for those chillier transition days. This turkey chili recipe is one of my staples and perfect for slightly crisp spring evenings with a glass of wine and blanket on the back porch.
Al fresco dining is one of the many things I love about the change in season and arrival of spring – -brighter evenings, patio dining and evening walks. Throw in a bowl of this chili and it sounds like a pretty perfect spring evening to me.
Leave out the turkey and add some lentils or another type of bean for a delicious vegan chili. Garnish with cilantro and extra jalapeño slices and serve with corn chips.
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 spanish onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 540 ml can chickpeas, drained
- 540 ml can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 1 can green chilies
- 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and turkey to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add spices and stir. Cook 1 minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.