I traveled to the UK this past holiday season, beautiful area and stunning Christmas displays, they also seemed to really love their shortbread layered with caramel and chocolate. Something they called millionaires. Not sure where the name comes from or if this is a UK thing, but I do know they are delicious! I thought I’d create a version of my own but with a healthy no guilt spin.
Tahini Millionaires are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free – but they taste sinful and delicious. Slight nutty flavour from the tahini pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the dates and chocolate. Who ever created the original millionaire bars really knew what they were doing.
These would make a great addition to the dessert spread at Easter or even a great homemade Mother’s Day gift – I know a tray full of these would make me happy.
Grain free shortbread crust, gooey caramel and chocolate coating
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Tahini Caramel
- 1/3 cup tahini paste
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 20 dates
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate Layer
- 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pulse everything in a food processor until just combined.
- Press dough firmly into the prepared baking dish, making sure to press the edges.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool.
- Add everything to the base of a food processor and pulse until well combined and a sticky caramel forms.
- Spread caramel onto of the baked crust using an offset spatula.
- Bring a small amount of water to a simmer in a pot. Place a glass bowl on top making sure it doesn’t touch the water.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil and heat until melted.
- Pour over the caramel layer and spread carefully to coat.
- Set the millionaires in the fridge for 10 minutes to set. Remove and score the chocolate with a knife. This will make it easier to cut the slices when fully set.
- Place the millionaires into the freezer to set fully, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and slice with a sharp knife. Store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container.