Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and the perfect excuse to spoil your loved ones with delicious and cute treats. My giant sweet tooth and love for anything cute is a sucker for Valentine’s Day – – the perfect collision of sweet and cute. Herat shaped everything, pinks and red all around and cute cards that express your true feelings in the most adorable and sometimes sassy ways.
I know this day brings out a lot of haters, but I say embrace what ever form of love you have in your life and relish in the abundance of flowers, candy, chocolates and explosion of pretty!
I have the perfect mini pies that check all the boxes – – cute, sweet, full of hearts and perfect for sharing. Whether it’s with your best gals, your family or that someone special these precious bundles of jammy goodness will make any day special.
How cute are these!
Try my super easy homemade chia jam recipe for the filling. An extra element of love and health 🙂
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (use your favourite brand or regular flour)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup butter (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7-9 Tbsp ice water
- Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, almond meal and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or 2 knives. You want the flour and butter to resemble little peas.
- Slowly add ice water while gently mixing dough with your hands without over mixing. Start with 7 Tbsp and add more if needed. You want the dough to just come together but not be too wet and sticky. It should form a ball when pressed with hands but not be dry.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pie dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough using a heart shaped cookie cutter or into squares using a knife.
- Spoon some jam onto the center of half the heart pieces making sure to leave a border of dough exposed.
- Wet the edge of the dough using your finger and gently place the remaining heart pieces on top, pressing down gently on the edges to seal.
- Using a fork gently crimp the edges to prevent the jam from leaking.
- To make the love envelopes arrange the square pieces so they look like diamonds. Then spoon jam onto the bottom half of the diamond.
- Fold the bottom point into the middle followed by the two side points, making sure to slightly overlap them. Leave the top point open.
- Place a small heart piece of dough where the three points meet in the middle.
- Gently place the hand pies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let cool completely and enjoy