This breakfast has become my go to when I’m in the mood for something a little hardy and savoury. I’m not always a savoury breakfast person. I will 99% of the time choose pancakes, fruit salad, smoothies or even fancy toast (by that I mean toast with peanut butter, honey and berries on top). But every now and then I’m in the mood for a more typical breakfast. You know, bacon, eggs and hash browns. That’s when I whip up this super simple and easy savoury breakfast hash.
The combination of crispy potatoes, creamy avocado and the bbq hot sauce mixture is what my savoury breakfast dreams are made of. I typically serve mine with a runny fried egg, but you could have yours scrambled, poached or even without an egg. Tofu scramble or tofu bacon would also be delicious.
- 1 medium to large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- handful of spinach
- 1 egg
- bbq sauce
- hot sauce
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook potatoes for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add bell pepper and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook another 5 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Wilt in spinach then transfer hash to a plate.
- Add another splash of oil and crack an egg into the pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until the whites are cooked and yolk is a little runny.
- Serve egg over the hash and drizzle with bbq sauce and hot sauce.