It’s this time of the summer, when the days are super hot and humid that my garden really takes off. Especially the zucchini. I swear they are multiplying over night. I’m running out of neighbours to share with and recipe ideas to make. Although, I’m not mad about it.
I love my garden and the haul it can produce and this summers heat has really elevated its growing power. And its certainly testing my farming skills 🙂 Typically I can go a few days without harvesting or training the climbing plants, but this year it seems to be an everyday task. Going one day without tending to the garden results in zucchini the size of your leg and green beans that look like they belong to the jolly green giant.
As I write this there is probably something that needs to be harvested – even though I just tended to the garden last night. Since the zucchini are growing at rapid speed under their canopy of leaves I thought I would celebrate the bountiful harvest with some lemon zucchini muffins (that can easily be made into a delicious cake topped with lemon cream frosting and filled with lemon curd. Oh, I just made my mouth water).
Lemon and zucchini go together like strawberries and cream
Lemon Zucchini Muffins – Dairy Free
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups grated zucchini, squeeze out some of the water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the lemon zest, juice, eggs, apple sauce, oil and sugar with an electric whisk.
- In a separate bowl sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add half the dry mix plus half the milk to the wet ingredients and beat together.
- Add the remaining dry mix and milk and beat again, until everything is combined.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Divide the batter into a greased muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until they are set and a toothpick comes out clean.
Share your photos on social media and tag #simplefreshwellness