Summer and Fall (yes, I’m already thinking and dreaming about fall) include a lot of outside adventures – nature walks, picnics, country drives, camping, biking, days on the boat and acting like a kid. I don’t know about you but the more time I spend outside the hungrier I get. I’m always ready for another snack (or ice cream treat). Sometimes I crave hummus and veggies or a hearty trail mix, but more times than not I want something that resembles dessert. What can I say, I have a pretty big sweet tooth 🙂
Thats why I created these delicious chewy granola bars and covered them in chocolate. Of course you can leave the chocolate out or add in a few mini chocolate chips instead, but if your feeling naughty I say go big. Cover the whole lot in a coating of chocolate and live on the edge. However, if your taking your snack on a hot walk or sunny adventure remember chocolate melts and you might want to take it easy in this case.
These chewy chocolate covered granola bars make the perfect sidekick to any lunch, work meeting, camp day or trail walk.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
- 1/2 cup quinoa puffs
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- chocolate coating
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 heaped tsp coconut butter
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, hemp, chopped nuts and quinoa puffs. Stir to combine.
- Add the rice syrup and nut butter to a small sauce pot and warm over low heat until it liquifies. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid mix over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. You want the liquid mix to evenly coat the dry ingredients.
- Press the dough into a 8×8 parchment lined baking pan. Make sure you press the mixture firmly so the granola bars hold together. Tip: Use the bottom of a cup to firmly press the dough.
- Place into the fridge to set for 45 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for freshness.