The other day I was at the coffee shop and really wanted one of the delicious looking muffins. You know, the one that looks healthy with oats on top but has more calories than your daily allowance and little to no nutrients. I decided to respect my body and choose to pass on food that makes me feel bloated, weighed down, and lethargic. The food you eat should fuel your body and make you feel alive and energized. So, I decided to whip up a version of the coffee shop muffin at home. One that my body would thank me for.
Fuel your body with food that makes you feel good
These carrot cake muffins are delicious. A combination of my favourite cake and muffin recipes, so you know they’re good 😉 Full of fibre to fill your tummy, nutrients to keep you energized, and sweetness to make you smile 🙂
Muffins make everything better 🙂
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pot over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl whisk together the applesauce, sugar, and egg. Add in the melted oil and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Divide batter into a greased muffin tin. I like using a large ice-cream scoop to divide the batter.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
What’s your favourite muffin flavour? Tell me in the comments below and tag @simplefreshwellness in your photos.
Love your body and it will love you back ❤