This past weekend I got to spend time with the ladies in my family. A weekend full of girl talk, shopping, food and estrogen. There were a lot of females in one household (12 to be exact). Taking the time to be with the ones you love, getting to know people in your family on a more personal level and sharing experiences is what life’s about. Making memories, building relationships and having some fun a long the way. And that’s exactly what this past weekend was all about.
With Valentine’s Day approaching I thought it would be good to remind people to take some time from their busy, hustle and bustle lives, to spend quality time with the people in their lives. Dedicating a day or even a couple of hours to strengthening your relationship is what Valentine’s Day should be about. Celebrating the people in your life and the experiences and memories you’ve shared.
If you don’t want to forgo the chocolate, candy and indulgence that generally surrounds this day of LOVE you can enjoy that too! This pink, candy, chocolate cake combines all the typical Valentine’s treats into one delicious cake. It’s the perfect dessert to share and celebrate love!
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (can also use vegan butter)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tube buttercream icing
- 2-3 Tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Comine cocoa, vanilla, eggs and yogurt in a small mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine flour, almond meal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
- Beat butter and half of the chocolate mixture into the flour.
- Add the remaining chocolate mixture in halves, beating after each addition.
- Add in the water and beat until a fluid batter forms and everything comes together.
- Divide into two 8″ greased cake pans and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix together 1 tube of your favourite pre-made icing with strawberry jam.
Not a fan of store bought icing? Try my cream cheese frosting and simply add strawberry jam to make it pink!