Cold winter weather gets me craving warm comfort food. Lately I’ve been really into Indian food, different curry’s and things like butter chicken and Tikka Masala. I’m no expert when it comes to more exotic flavours, but I do like to play around with spices and explore new dishes. I’m calling this one a lentil chickpea curry although I’m not sure that’s technically correct. Any who, It’s my version of Indian food and no matter what it’s called – it’s delicious!
The golden colour, well rounded blend of spices and creamy lentils come together perfectly to make one soul soothing dish. If you’re craving comfort and warmth give this curry recipe a try. Serve along side brown rice and a little naan bread for scooping. This is my take on Indian food – hope you enjoy.
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp tadka masala spice blend
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- Saute onion and peppers over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes, spices, and tomato paste. Saute 2 minutes to heat through the spices. Add stock and sugar. Cook another couple minutes.
- Add chickpeas and lentil, cook five minutes or until chickpeas are heated through, stock is reduced and the mixture become creamy.
- Serve with cooked brown rice and a side of naan bread for scooping.
Comfort food is the best food!