The other night I had a request from my brother to make cookies. I have a hard time ignoring baking requests, especially when they involve some type of cookie. However, I didn’t just want to make ordinary cookies. That’s when I remembered the cast iron pan I found in the summer in an antique store. Cast iron pans are one of those things that just get better with age and the more often you use them. This was a perfect chance to create a special cookie in a special pan.
I love wandering around antique stores looking for that perfect piece. My eye is generaly drawn towards anything kitchen related. Antique apple peelers, old trivets and beautiful serving dishes. After all, nothing beats the attention to detail in a rose pattern antique plater! There’s something special about bringing old pieces back to life. Whether you stay true to its roots or reinvent the way its used. I always find something unique on my antique hunts.
My cast iron pan made the most delicious giant cookie! A perfect golden brown outside and gooey chocolate speckled inside. There is nothing better than a cookie the size of your head!
- 1 chia egg (1 Tbsp ground chia + 3 Tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (can also use regular butter)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I used a gluten-free version)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large handfuls of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together your chia egg and place in the fridge for a couple minutes.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla and your prepared chia egg. Beat again with the mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat once more with the mixer until everything comes together.
- Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Press your dough into a greased cast iron pan and bake for about 12-15 minutes – depending on the size of your pan. You want the cookie to be slightly golden on the outside but still soft in the middle.
Happy Antiquing and Cookie Eating!