Food is always the centre piece of my families holiday gatherings. A variety of dishes contributed by every member of the family – which makes for a lot of food since I’m from a large extended family! Everything from a large turkey centre piece to baked sides and fresh salads. We have a variety of taste preferences and meal restrictions which makes for a delicious and eclectic mix of dishes.
One thing that always seems to make an appearance on the table is quinoa. Quinoa is one of the most versatile ingredients. It makes the perfect porridge alternative, great cookies and delicious salads. If you’re looking for a healthy side dish that will feed a crowd then quinoa is the perfect start. This delicious winter salad has the flavours of Christmas with a hint of freshness. A family favourite that I’m sure you’ll love!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 handfuls dried cranberries
- 2 handfuls pumpkin seeds
- 2 handfuls thinly chopped kale
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon or grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients or shake in a mason jar to combine.
- Let quinoa cool and toss with cranberries, pumpkin seeds, kale and dressing.
- Let chill in the fridge and enjoy.