Flakey pie crusts and creamy dairy-free custard make for the perfect summer pie. The buttery crust is the perfect partner to the luscious cashew cream. With healthy fats and a rich butter taste cashews make for the perfect start to a decedent custard filling, while the sweetness of fresh seasonal fruit cuts the rich creamy texture and adds the perfect balance to this summer pie.
I used seasonal peaches and antioxidant rich blueberries but you can use whatever fruit your love! Get creative and embrace the fruits of the season! The pie crust recipe makes enough for one pie or about 10 individual tarts, so let your fruit pairing creativity shine and invite some friends over for a delicious dairy-free custard pie!
If you want to make your own pie crust, try my flakey gluten-free crust recipe. It’s the perfect combination of buttery taste and flakey texture to compliment the cashew custard!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Bake your favourite pie shell according to package directions or make my gluten-free pie crust from above. While the pie crust is baking make your custard.
- All all custard ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. This might take a little longer if you don’t have a high powered blender.
- In a small bowl whisk together arrowroot and 1/4 cup almond milk. Set to the side.
- Measure 3/4 cup of the cashew custard and set the rest to the side. Heat the measured custard in a small sauce pot over medium heat until warm.
- Reduce heat to medium – low and whisk in arrowroot mixture. Stir to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add in coconut oil and whisk continuously for about 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the reserved cashew custard mixture.
- Transfer to a glass bowl to cool for a few minutes, then cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until cooled and pie shell is room temperature.
- Spread custard into the prepared pie shell and top with seasonal fruit.