This is a lighter version of the traditional ground beef or chicken filled tacos. Instead it brings a satisfying bite with the use of black beans and sweet potatoes. This lightened up version is perfect for the summer months and hot heat – it satisfies cravings without weighing you down.
These tacos bring the flavour of Tex mex cooking while providing an abundance of vitamins and minerals. Sweet potatoes contain vibrant flavonoids and B vitamins while the bell peppers contain powerful cancer fighting antioxidants, and black beans provide fiber and protein.
- 1 (14 oz.) can of black beans
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- hard or soft taco shells
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In a large sautee pan cook beans, sweet potato and onions over medium heat in a little oil. Add spices and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble the tacos by building a layer of sautéed vegetables on your favourite taco shell followed by tomato, bell peppers and avocado. Sprinkle on a little chopped parsley and enjoy!
- *this recipe served 2-4 people.