Brunch is one of the best times of the day! You get to sleep in, then indulge is a larger than average meal (after all it is replacing breakfast and lunch – hence the name), and most times brunch is not spent alone but instead surrounded by amazing company. The perfect way to spend a Sunday morning. I’ve got the perfect recipe to serve at your next brunch. These Lemon Oatmeal Squares are super moist, tart and the perfect mix of breakfasts and dessert.
These squares have it all. Gluten-free, vegan and healthier than your average square. I know what you’re thinking – they must taste like cardboard. But before you pass judgment, click off or run away at the thought of eating anything gluten-free and vegan, try these lemony coconut squares – – I promise they’re delicious! Moist, full of flavour, and the perfect amount of sweet. You’ll forget they’re lacking the typical ingredients most people are programmed into thinking make a recipe tasty.
The perfect balance between breakfast and dessert
- 2 chia eggs (2 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp coconut butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together the chia seeds and water to make your chia egg.
- In a separate bowl combine the coconut milk, vinegar and lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the dry ingredients as well as the melted coconut oil and chia egg. Whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 11 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once set and lightly golden remove from the oven an let cool completely on the counter. Then cut into squares.
- Combine all ingredients for the icing in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy. Pipe or spread onto the cooled squares.