As you can probably tell by the number of sweet recipes on this blog I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I love to whip up delicious treats for those I love. Morning, noon or night I am always thinking of different sweet recipes and ways I can make them healthier and more plant based. This only increases around holidays or special events. To me there is nothing better than an afternoon spent baking.
What better time to make a loving dessert than for Valentine’s Day? This love day show your sweetheart how much you care by sweetening the day with some gluten-free and vegan chocolate donuts. The recipe is the perfect balance of health and decadence. Enjoy some sugar without spoiling the rest of your romantic plans and indulge in these decedent chocolate donuts.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (any gluten-free all purpose mix should work)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds, ground
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, dairy-free
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl combine your wet ingredients – vanilla, vinegar, almond milk and apple sauce.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and chia seeds. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to fully combine.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon or piping bag add batter to a greased donut pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then flip out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled dip in the glaze or decorate with your favourite buttercream and drizzle with the glaze.
- In a small sauce pot melt chocolate chips and coconut butter over low heat. Make sure to stir constantly to prevent burning.