You always hear breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As a nutritionist I whole heartedly agree. Breakfast sets the mark for the rest of the day. It revs up your metabolism, provides good fuel for your brain, and supports your energy production. Not to mention it breaks the overnight fast (hence the name) which is crucial for helping your body burn food as fuel instead of storing it as fat. When we skip meals or don’t provide our bodies with enough nutrients our body goes into storage mode. This means any food we do eat is stored as fat instead of burned for energy. Eating breakfast is a crucial step in making sure our body doesn’t enter this storage mode.
If you choose good healthy food for breakfast you are more likely to continue making healthy choices throughout the day. On the flip side, if you choose a sugar filled donut or no breakfast at all, these poor choices are more likely to continue and progress into junk snacks and lack of proper nutrition for the rest of the day. Set up your day for success and choose a healthy and satisfying breakfast!
Eating breakfast and what you choose play a big role in your health!
We want to choose a breakfast with complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats – this will provide energy, balance blood sugar and keep you satisfied until lunch. I have the perfect breakfast recipe that feels indulgent while supporting good healthy choices and energy production. Oatmeal pancakes are made without refined flour or sugar – they provide whole grain carbs, fibre, and healthy fats. Sprinkle with hemp hearts for protein and an extra omega boost then top everything with some fresh berries for natural sweetness and a good dose of colourful antioxidants. The perfect morning fuel!
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds, ground
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp water
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a small mixing bowl make your chia egg by combining the chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of water. Whisk together and leave to the side for 5 minutes to gel.
- Add oats to a blender and pulse a couple times to roughly chop.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the chia egg, and blend until smooth and all ingredients are well combined.
- Cook waffles in a preheated waffle maker and top with hemp hearts and your favourite fruit.