Looking for the perfect meal to impress someone special? Valentine’s day is quickly approaching, which means everyone is looking for that perfect romantic restaurant, gift or gesture. Why not impress your loved one by preparing a delicious and special homemade meal for two. This Lo Mein is simple to make but looks extravagant. It has all the flavor of Chinese take-out but without all the nutritional nasty’s – you know the unhealthy oils, MSG and high salt content. Serve it up along side a nice table setting and some dimmed lighting and you have a perfect date night at home.
This recipe is perfect for vegans and meat eaters alike. It’s packed full of flavor and delicious veggies, but if you’re missing the meat you could add some sautéed shrimp or chicken for an extra protein kick. I served this dish to the entire family and it was devoured in a matter of minutes…no complaints from the peanut gallery!
- Black Bean noodles (could substitute with udon noodles)
- 2 Tbsp avocado or grape seed oil
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, julienned
- 1/2 white onion, julienned
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 1/2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 3 Tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp sriracha
- *if you like your Lo Mein to be saucy then double this recipe.
- In a large pot bring about 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the noodles and par cook until they are just under al dente (still has a little bit).
- Once the noodles are al dente drain and rinse under cold water. In a mixing bowl combine all sauce ingredients and whisk together. Set to the side for later.
- In a large frying pan heat oil over medium heat and add your peppers, onion, and carrots. Sautee about 8 minutes to soften.
- Add your green beans and spinach and cook until the spinach is just wilted.
- Add you sauce and followed by the par cooked noodles and toss to heat and coat everything in the delicious sauce.
- Serve in pretty bowls and sprinkle with hemp hearts for added protein and nutty flavor.