It’s officially December and you know what that means… holiday season is in full swing. Family gatherings, holiday shopping, cookie baking and holiday decorating. That doesn’t leave much time for healthy eating and taking care of your stress levels. No one wants to be burned out come January.
It’s important to take care of our body during this stressful time of year. Stress runs down the body and decreases our immune system allowing us to be more susceptible to getting sick. The best way to prevent illness is to take care of yourself and manage your stress.
Stress Management reduces illness and burnout!
Treat your body with respect and love. Too much hustle and bustle and not enough nourishment leads to a lack of energy and reoccurring illness. Simple tips to keep your body in tip top shape include:
- staying hydrated – dehydration leads to poor immune function, lack of energy, headaches and decreased digestion. Hydration is key to optimal immune function and scaring away the flu. Water is essential for optimal body functions including the immune system as it helps flush toxins and improve cell oxygen levels.
- eat regular nourishing meals – provide essential vitamins and minerals and nutrients for optimal energy levels.
- vitamin c – boost immune function.
- probiotics and probiotic rich foods – 80% of our immune health stems from our gut. An increased amount of bad bacteria can lead to decreased immune function and candida.
- De-stress – fatigued adrenals and increased stress levels weaken our immune system. A stressed body is less able to fight infection and pathogens. Our system is more open to illness.
Looking for an easy weeknight meal to keep you satisfied and energized for all your holiday festivities and running around. This potato leek soup recipe is just what you need. Its soothing to the soul and nourishing to the body.
- 2 leeks, sliced and washed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 6 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups almond milk
- cheese, optional for topping
- In a large soup pot sauté leeks over medium heat with 1 Tbsp grape seed oil. Cook about 5 minutes or until leeks have softened.
- Add spices and cook another 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, stock and water. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and blend soup with a immersion blender until smooth. Then add almond milk and simmer for 3-5 minutes to bring the soup back up to temperature.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with cheese.