Monday mornings are a little hectic and very early for me. Waking up at 5:45am and leaving the house within 10 minutes to make it to work on time doesn’t leave me much time to prep breakfast, let alone eat breakfast. This constantly leaves me searching for easy make ahead recipes that can be consumed on the go.
Last night I decided to be proactive and meal prep my breakfast and snack instead of doing the weekly Monday morning scramble. This got me thinking of the types of quick breakfasts I use to grab before heading to school. My favourite was chewy granola bars – you know the ones full of sugar and zero protein (this was before I made the switch to health conscious meals). So I decided I would try my hand at creating my own chewy chocolate chip granola bars. That’s when these delicious beauties came to be.
These granola bars taste better than the ones I remember from childhood but have the added benefits of fibre, protein, healthy fats and no refined sugars. They don’t cause the dreaded blood sugar roller coaster and are safe for school lunches! Can you ask for anything better than that?
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 medjool dates
- 4 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Watch carefully as they can burn quickly.
- Remove oats from the oven and let cool.
- In a small sauce pot heat coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar over low heat. Once the coconut oil and sugar are melted add half the mixture to the bowl of a food processor with the dates. Pulse to combine and form a paste.
- Add the oats to a large mixing bowl along with the hemp hearts, date mixture and remaining coconut oil mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to fully combine.
- Once cool to the touch add chocolate chips and press the dough into an 8 x 8 baking dish. Press firmly and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into bars. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Don’t let busy schedules keep you from enjoying healthy snacks. These granola bars will become your favourite go to recipe.