It’s almost time to put away the flip flops and pull out the riding boots and cozy sweaters. Fall (or sweater weather) is definitely my favourite. Not just because the crisp air, changing leaves or many harvest festivities, but the comfort food, festive beverages and warming spices. Cuddling up with a warm apple cider, cozy sweater and the smell of leaves burning is my idea of a perfect evening. There is something about the harvest season and beginning of the holidays that feels magical!
If you’re not one to share in my love of cooler weather and the beginning of a new season I have just the thing to change your mind. Food can make any situation better. These delicious mini meat loaves are the perfect summer to fall transition meal. Comforting and warm but still light and fresh.
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 3 hot sausages, removed from casing
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 2 Tbsp basil, thinely sliced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp whorechester sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup bbq sauce for basting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except the bbq sauce.
- Mix gently until everything is just combined. You do not want to over mix as this will make your meatloaf/meatballs tough.
- Divide the meat mixture into 12 balls and place them in a greased muffin tin. The muffin tin helps the meat keep its shape and stay juicy.
- Baste with 1/3 of the bbq sauce and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then baste with another 1/3 of the bbq sauce and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the middle is fully cooked.
- Finally baste with the remaining bbq sauce and serve.
- *I like to serve alongside mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables or a big salad.
Embrace the harvest and make sure to check back to Nature’s Peach regularly for more delicious harvest inspired recipes. After all it’s the best time of the year!