A cold glass of ice tea on a hot summer day is my idea of perfection. The refreshing tea and slight lemony tang screams summer in a glass.
If you enjoy a large glass of ice tea but don’t want the nasty artificial or refined sugar this recipe is for you. Keep it classic with black tea or put your spin on a classic with green tea, oolong or a rooibos, the choice is yours.
6 orange peeko tea bags
9 cups filtered water
1/2 cup honey
- Boil 8 cups of water. Add boiling water to a heat safe pitcher and add tea bags and the zest of one lemon. *tip – use a vegetable peeler to zest your lemon. The large pieces make it easier to remove after steeped.
- Steep tea for 6-8 minutes depending on how strong you like your tea. After steeped remove tea bags and lemon zest with a slotted spoon.
- Let tea cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime make your sweetened syrup. In a heat proof measuring cup combine 1/2 cup honey with 1 cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Let cool.
- Once tea and sweetener are cooled fill a large pitcher with ice . Pour tea and sweetened syrup into the pitcher and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Serve with a little sliced lemon and enjoy!
Additional flavour options include green tea mint, rooibos raspberry, white tea peach, get creative! Happy sipping!