Nothing signals the unofficial start of summer more than the sprouting of Farmer’s markets and the sweet smell of just picked strawberries! Strawberry season is the start of fresh summer fruit season and one of my favourite parts of summer. Fresh seasonal fruit is the perfect start to any recipe and the strawberry is no exception. It’s sweet flavor and bright red colour make them the perfect addition to fruit trays, salads, and off course dessert.
Today we’re skipping straight to dessert, because lets face it it’s my favourite topic to create recipes for. On the menu today is a portable indulgence that celebrates the humble strawberry – flaky strawberry poptarts. These are the perfect sweet on the go breakfast or picnic dessert. They are simple to make and taste absolutely amazing!
Make sure you stop by your local farmers market and stock up on fresh seasonal produce. Celebrate the abundance of nature and help support your local community and agriculture. Trust me the market is one of the best parts about summer!
Flaky Strawberry Poptarts
2 cups gluten-free flour (use your favourite brand or regular flour)
1/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup butter (or vegan butter)
1/2 tsp salt
6-9 Tbsp ice water
4 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup water
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Tapioca starch
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, almond meal and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or 2 knives. You want the flour and butter to resemble little peas.
- Slowly add ice water while gently mixing dough with your hands without over mixing. Start with 6 Tbsp and add more if needed. You want the dough to just come together. It should form a ball when pressed with hands but not be dry.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees and make the strawberry filling.
- In a large skillet over low heat combine strawberries with 3/4 cup water and the sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar and coat the strawberries. Cook for 10 minutes or until strawberries are soft.
- Once strawberries are soft use a potato masher of fork to smash the strawberries. It is easier to fill the poptarts if you break up the strawberries.
- In a measuring cup combine 1/4 cup water with 1 Tbsp tapioca starch and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add starch mixture to the berries while stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook another 3 -5 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Turn off the heat and let the strawberry filling cool.
- Roll out the pie dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into equal size pieces using a knife or cookie cutter.
- Carefully transfer half the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet (I find it helpful to use a stiff spatula).
- Spoon some strawberry filling onto the center of half the dough pieces (ones on the tray) making sure to leave a border of dough exposed. Place the remaining dough pieces on top of the filling pressing down the edges with a fork to seal in the filling.
- Cut two small slits into the top of each poptart to let the steam escape and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly golden.
- Let cool completely and drizzle with icing
To make the icing/glaze simply combine icing sugar and water to create a paste. The amount of water you add depends on your desired thickness. *remember a little water goes a very long way.