A couple of weeks ago I received a request to share my newest chocolate chip cookie recipe. Well, I don’t like to disappoint and love to share recipes so here you go. I was testing cookie recipes for an upcoming trade show I was doing and this was the winning chocolate chip recipe. Family and friends alike agreed this recipe blended the traditional flavor with a soft yet crunchy texture. And of course the recipe is gluten-free and vegan.
Cookies are probably my favourite dessert to make. There is an endless variety of flavor combinations which always taste amazing. Not to mention it is one of those recipes you can truly experiment with without fear of creating a complete disaster. Sometimes when I need a confidence boost from a cake fail I whip up a batch of cookies, just to remind myself I am a good baker.
I encourage you to take a classic cookie recipe and make it your own. Change the sugar content, flour mixture or type of fat and see what happens. Don’t be afraid to play around and have some fun. Being comfortable with adjusting and re-inventing recipes is an invaluable skill.
1 chia egg (1 Tbsp chia seeds + 3 Tbsp water)
1/4 cup coconut oil, solid
1/4 cup vegan butter (I use soy free Earth Balance)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 2/3 cup gluten-free flour blend (try the blend you like the most)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl make your chia egg by combining chia seeds and water. Let it stand for 5 minutes to form a gel consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer cream together coconut oil, vegan butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla and chia egg and continue to mix with an electric mixer.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet while mixing, until flour is fully combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1 Tbsp of dough and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until all cookies are formed. Gently press dough down with finger tips and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Get creative and enjoy!