Chocolate hazelnut spread (you know the one I’m talking about) was one of my all time favourite childhood foods. Spread on toast, drizzled over fruit or just straight off the spoon, it was magical. I was completely addicted!
This high sugar low nutrient spread wound me up only to let me crash to the ground. Its high sugar content and very low nutritional value added nothing but a blood sugar rollercoaster ride to my day. That momentary delight while enjoying my sugar filled breakfast was not worth the after math. I have since grown up and educated myself, making the switch from sugar laced breakfasts to nutritious hunger satisfying varieties. I have ditched the high sugar condiments and reduced my sugar cravings. This doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally enjoy a nutty chocolatey treat, I just choose healthier varieties. That’s why I created this delicious version of chocolate hazelnut spread.
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted
1 cup almond milk (other non-dairy milk)
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup melted chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
- Toast hazelnuts in a fry pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir to prevent burning.
- Reduce heat to low and add milk. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add hazelnut mixture to a blender or food processor along with the cocoa powder, maple syrup, melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse until everything is combined and smooth.
- If you need add some extra milk to make everything nice and creamy.
- Store ins an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy.
Hope you enjoy a taste of my childhood.