Creamy sauces are one of the most heavenly things you can eat, but they are normally full of saturated fat and hard to digest dairy. This cauliflower “cream” sauce gives that same rich creaminess but without the waist busting fat and belly bloat. As you’ve probably guessed from the name of this post, the secret ingredient to dairy-free cream sauce is cauliflower. When cooked and pureed cauliflower transforms into the perfect body for a cream sauce.
This cream sauce is not only delicious but also pack full of nutrients. Cauliflower is loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium. Not only does this sauce make the perfect base for Mac’ n cheese, it also helps reduce inflammation and support liver detoxification. What more can you ask for!
I love Mac’ n cheese, or anything with pasta and cheese really. But the traditional recipe is not easy on your waistline, digestion or skin. Not wanting to sacrifices the ooey, goodness of Mac’ n cheese I came up with this nutrient dense cream sauce – add some cheese and noodles and you are off to the races.
1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 white onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. chili flakes
2 Tbsp. flour (I used a gluten-free blend)
3 cups non-dairy milk, divided
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Steam cauliflower florets in a sauce pot with about 2 inches of water for 2 minutes.
- Place steamed cauliflower in a food processor with 1 cup of milk and puree until smooth. Leave to the side until later.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter and melt. Once melted add flour and stir for 1 minute. Continue to stir and add non-dairy milk. *it is important to stir constantly while adding milk to prevent clumping.
- Season with nutmeg and continue to stir until the sauce thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Add cauliflower to thickened sauce and stir to combine. Stir until bubbling and heated through, then remove from heat.
- If you were turning this into a cheese sauce now’s the time to gradually mix in grated cheese.
Hope you Enjoy