Mother’s Day is just around the corner and it’s the perfect excuse to cook mom a fabulous meal. Weather she likes breakfast in bed or a delicious dinner after a day of family time and great memories, make sure you show mom how much you appreciate her. A home cooked meal will mean more to her than taking her to an expensive restaurant, trust me!
I don’t think that we should wait for this one day each year to thank mom for everything she does, but its nice to do something a little extra special to make Mother’s Day stand out. I normally make a dessert using my moms favourite flavours (she has a big sweet tooth), spoil her with nice gifts and give her a day away from the house doing some of her favourite activities. Whatever you decide to do make sure you keep mom’s interests in mind. It is her day after all.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy recipe to incorporate into your mother’s day meal this easy spinach basil pesto is just the thing. It takes 5 minutes to make and can be used in a number of different recipes. Spread it on some crackers topped with mozzarella and a cherry tomato half, toss it with pasta, spread it on pizza, or lather on some toasted crostini’s and sprinkle with parmesan. The possibilities are endless.
Spinach Basil Pesto
Handful of fresh Spinach
Handful of fresh Basil
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp walnut pieces
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Add spinach, basil, walnuts, cheese, and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds to roughly chop all ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper and add half the olive oil.
- Pulse until a paste starts to form.
- With the food processor on slowly pour in remaining oil. Pulse until everything is combined and the pesto is the consistency you prefer.
- Transfer to a small mason jar and store in the fridge.
*Pesto will get a little thicker as it sits in the fridge, you might want to add more oil to thin out if you are not using right away.
Enjoy! Let me know your favourite way to enjoy pesto.