For the LOVE of cookies
Happy day before Valentine’s Day! I have one last valentine’s inspired recipe to help you spread the LOVE!
You can cover with icing and sprinkles, dip in chocolate or decorate with a message of love – like those conversation hearts…..so CUTE!
I was so excited I made a double batch and sent some pretty packages with my mom to spread the feeling of LOVE at work – I couldn’t help myself. I finally created the perfect recipe that holds its shape and has that slight crunch. You don’t know how much excitement this brings me – I did the happy dance around the kitchen.
Lovely Cut-out Sugar Cookies
¼ cup coconut oil, room temperature
¼ cup vegan butter (I like soy-free earth balance spread)
5 Tbsp. almond milk (other dairy-free milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
2 cups gluten free flour blend
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
*I like to make my own large batch of gluten-free flour blend using 4 cups brown rice flour, 1 1/4 cups tapioca starch, 1 1/4 cup potato starch, 4 tsp guar gum. I mix everything together and store in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine coconut oil and vegan butter. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add milk and vanilla and cream another couple minutes.
- Add half the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Add the remaining sugar and beat to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour blend, tapioca starch, salt and baking powder. Add flour to mixer in small batches, mixing in between. Once all flour is added turn mixer to medium high and beat for a couple minutes to bring everything together.
- Remove dough from mixer and form into a disk using your hands. Dough should hold together but not be sticky.
- Place one piece of plastic wrap or wax paper under and on top of the dough disk, this will take the place of excess flour and prevent the dough from sticking to the counter. Roll the dough to about ¼ – ½ inch thick and cut with your favourite cookie cutter. *if using wax paper let it hang over the counter a little and hold with hip to prevent sliding.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake about 8-10 minutes, just until set and lightly golden on the bottom.
- Let cool completely before icing.
2 cups icing sugar
2 – 4 tsp dairy-free milk (depends on preferred thickness)
Add sugar and milk to a small mixing bowl and mix to combine. *Start with a little milk and gradually add until you reach your desired consistency.
Place into a piping bag or zip top bag to easily decorate cookies.
*you can also melt some chocolate and dip half the cookie, top with sprinkles before baking, or use icing to write little love messages.