Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
February 14th generates the largest chocolate sales all year. More than 36 million boxes of chocolates will be sold for this particular day alone! Wow, that’s what I call a lot of chocolate!
Chocolate may be considered a treat and something that should not be consumed everyday, but dark chocolate has a number of beneficial properties.
- Can you say aphrodisiac – that’s right, consuming chocolate can help you get in the mood! Chocolate contains a natural chemical called phenylalanine, which is naturally produced by our adrenal glands when we get excited. Phenylalanine enhances mood, promoted feelings of happiness and improves physical performance.
- Anandamide – increases feelings of excitement, enhances mental alertness, and regulates mood.
- Antioxidants – 70% or higher dark chocolate has a higher concentration of cacao and less sugar than milk chocolate. With a higher cacao content dark chocolate has greater levels of antioxidants and “feel good” chemicals. So ditch the milk and enjoy the dark!
Dark chocolate can enhance your health while getting you in the mood!
Now that you know dark chocolate can enhance your love life while helping your health its time to share some creative ways to indulge:
- Melt dark chocolate chips in a double boiler and dip some strawberries. Place in the fridge to cool and enjoy. Strawberries contain healthful antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals (vitamin C & manganese). Strawberries can help keep your heart healthy on this day of love.
- Make your own chocolate – melt dark chocolate chips in a double boiler and mix in different fillings. You can add goji berries, brown rice crisps, peanut butter, or nuts/seeds. Transfer chocolate mixture to a silicone ice tray and place in the fridge to set. Delicious, fancy chocolates in no time!
- Melt dark chocolate with a little coconut oil and some honey and you’ve got a delicious homemade chocolate sauce. Delicious on a number of things. Coconut oil and honey are also good for the skin 😉
- Indulge in my coconut chocolate fudge (previous post)
Enjoy your Valentine’s Day and indulge in some DARK chocolate!