Cold and flu season is upon us. Over the past few weeks I have heard a number of people complain about being sick.
We are all so busy over the holiday season, that when we finally get a minute to catch our breath we generally get sick. This is because we have overloaded our immune system with all the holiday excitement and indulgence. No immune love = feeling sick!
Not to worry. Mother nature has provided us with immune boosting foods that will help you kick the flu a** without the flu shot!
Add these immune strengthening foods to your diet today
- Garlic – It is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial. It’s active ingredient, allicin, helps fight infection and kill bacteria. Garlic is also great for unplugging those sinuses. Try to have garlic in its raw state for the best benefits.
- Citrus – Fruits like lemons, oranges and grapefruit contain loads of vitamin C. This powerful antioxidant helps to reduce cold symptoms and make you feel human again. However, I do not recommend getting your vitamin C from the processed orange juice found in the grocery store. Put your thumbs to work and peal a real orange. The white rind will add additional antioxidant benefits.
- Zinc – essential for normal immune function, it is necessary for the prevention of colds and flu. Try adding pumpkin seeds to salads or having a trail mix. Also try adding oysters, dark chocolate, and lamb to your diet.
- Ginger – this incredible root is perfect for healing a scratchy throat and suppressing that nasty cough. It contains sesquiterpenes, a chemical which targets the common cold virus. Add some ginger to boiling water and lemon slices for a delicious immune supporting tea.
- Honey – anti-microbial and contains antioxidants which help fight infection and strengthen the immune system. Take a tsp for a natural solution to a sore throat, the honey will provide a coating that will sooth the pain in no time. * don’t give honey to children under the age of one, their immune systems are not quit mature enough to defend botulism.
Eat up and feel better!